If you have a debit card, you have probably been asked “debit or credit?” No matter how you respond to the question, the purchase will be deducted from your checking account.
What is the difference?
If you choose "debit" at the register, the transaction is processed through the ATM network, you must use a personal identification number (PIN) and you may be charged an ATM transaction fee.
If you choose credit at the register, the transaction is processed through the MasterCard® network and you will be required to sign a receipt. By pressing credit, your card will work wherever you see the Mastercard logo (worldwide). Remember that funds will be taken from your checking account even if you say credit.
Which is better to use?
For better protection, to help both you and Tuscaloosa VA Federal Credit Union, always choose credit and sign for your purchase. This helps keep costs down and we pass the savings to you. Mastercard® transactions are more efficient and less costly than ATM transactions. Also, by choosing credit, your purchases are protected by Mastercard. This gives you certain protections against merchant violations.
Our Tuscaloosa VA Federal Credit Union Mastercard Check Card gives you the convenience of a check with full ATM Access! It’s a safe, simple, and convenient alternative to carrying a checkbook or cash. Present the Mastercard Check Card and your purchase will be deducted directly from your Checking Account. There's no interest to pay, and you will enjoy immediate approval at the register. In addition, for cash-on-the-run, use your Mastercard Check Card at any Tuscaloosa VA Federal Credit Union-owned ATM for instant cash with no fee.
Benefits of the Check Card:
- Save money…No more paying for checks…no checkbook to carry
- No monthly or annual fee
- No minimum balance required
- Easy to use—more readily accepted than checks(especially out of state or in another country)
- Great for travel—frees you from carrying large amounts of cash.
- Purchases are deducted from your checking account (not applied against a credit card)
- No finance charges
- ATM access worldwide
- Use it for purchases (with your pin) at participating merchants and get cash back, avoiding ATM fees and surcharges
- Easy record keeping (your purchases show up in detail on your monthly checking account statement)
- Daily purchase limits for your protection
Some qualifications apply. E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact a Member Service Representative at 205-556-7819 Option 2 for more information.
For lost/stolen MasterCard Debit cards, please call (800) 264-5578.